Single in Zurich? Easy Ways to Meet Someone Special
There are many, many excellent ways to meet people in Zurich!
If you are single in Zurich, you have numerous options. Maybe you like being single, but want to have a bit of fun; maybe you’re lonely and want to find someone to settle down with.
If you want to start any kind of a relationship, either serious or casual, in Zurich, you many need to take some risks and do things you have not been doing. Depending on what type of person you are, you might have to leave your comfort zone in meeting people. To make a long story short, you’re going to have to put yourself out there…
You can meet people the traditional way, by going out and chatting to friends-of friends or even strangers, taking part in sports or social clubs and activities, or spending at places where you might meet interesting (and interested), potential partners. Instead, you might decide to go the internet route, where there are different websites available that can put you in contact with a person with similar attitudes, tastes and ideas. In fact, there is absolutely no reason you can’t do both!
Zurich is a fantastic place for singles for several reasons:
- Zurich is big enough that there is always something interesting going on somewhere. You don’t always have to see the same people over and over again. Go to different places and you’ll meet new people.
- Zurich is small enough, that if you meet someone interesting, and want to run into them again, you stand a reasonable chance of doing so. Many people are territorial, frequenting their same favorite places over and over. Spend enough time at the place you met someone, you’ll be likely to run into them again. If you don’t want to take the chance, be sure to get their contact info the first time!!
- If you’re an expat, you’ll probably have the awesome advantage of the ‘foreigner effect’. Your different traditions, customs from your home country, and background will be different (sometimes a little different, sometimes vastly) then that of the people you meet. This is a huge advantage, as it immediately gives you something to talk about when you meet someone. This starts you out on the plus side, as it provides you with the impression of an appealing, exotic quality (whether this is true or not!).
- There are constantly new and interesting people moving to Zurich, Switzerland on a regular basis, for school, work or just for holidays, so you have a regular stream of potential new dating options.
Meet someone in Zurich, Switzerland: The old-fashioned way
- No matter what your interests are, how much disposable income you have or where you live in Zurich, there are a wealth of bars, restaurants and clubs, where you can meet someone. I don’t want to give you a list of places in Zurich, where you can go, as I don’t know what you like to do and where you like to spend your time, but I can tell you few things you can do to optimize your chances of meeting someone in Zurich:
- Whatever your age, or no matter what you look like, be certain you have made the most of what you’ve got, and look your best. Show off your best assets and try not to draw attention to your weak spots.
- Be sure your personal hygiene is up to snuff. Make sure to shower and if you’re using perfume or cologne, don’t use too much! I know it sounds like common sense, but you’d be surprise what people consider acceptable hygiene. It’s better to err on the side of cleanliness!!
- Be friendly, outgoing, and above all confident. Confidence can make an enormous difference in how two people with similar looks, personalities, skills and interests are perceived.
- Be passionate and full of energy. Even when you’re talking about things that are boring (perhaps your job, your family, etc.), try to be excited and enthusiastic.
- Do things and go to places that encourage personal interaction, especially with strangers. Going to the movies is an unlikely place to find someone new to talk to (but a great place to take someone you’ve already met)!
- Try to showcase your special skills. If you’re a fantastic singer, go to a karaoke night or join a choir. If you’re a great actor, join a theater group.
- You could also meet potential partners in your current workplace, but be careful here! Dating someone you will have to see, on a day-to-day basis, can be a strain on any relationship. The situation can also be extremely uncomfortable, if things end badly!
Meeting Someone in Zurich, Switzerland: Online Dating
As the world becomes increasingly hectic, our daily lives become constantly busier. It’s difficult to meet people, and even harder to meet people with similar interests an ideas. One excellent solution for this is online dating. Online dating makes sense in our busy world, and no longer has any stigma associated with it. More and more singles are looking for love online and its become normal and acceptable. I’m sure you know at least one couple who met online (whether they made it public that they did or not!). Whether or not you think dating online is for you, it’s like online shopping. It does not cost you anything to sign up and ‘shop’ for a partner!!
If you are single (or even if you’re not) and decide to look into online dating, I think that Parship is the best general online dating websites for anyone living in Zurich. The site has a large number of members and signing-up is free; its a great way to get an idea of how online dating works, and what is out there, before you decide to go any further.
Are you bright, have a good education and are looking for similar intelligent, singles for a long term relationship? Then you need ElitePartner. With their extensive free testing, and matching algorithm, Elitepartner claims an incredible success rate where more than 40% of premium memberships resulting in the finding of a life-partner!
Swissfriends is another great site for English-speaking expats living in Zurich. The site is available in English, and has a large number of members. Sign-up is free, that way you get to look around before you decide to go any further. However, you need to be in Switzerland or one of the neighboring countries in order to access the site.
Same-sex relationships in Zurich? Zurich has an active gay and lesbian community, but it’s not always easy to find the right person. If you’re looking for a same-sex relationship in Zurich, there are websites specifically dedicated to finding you the right partner. Some of these have fantastic success at matching gay and lesbian couples: gayParship, is dedicated to finding compatible partners of the same sex and an amazing 38% of premium members report finding the right partner for them!
I want a casual encounter, not a long-term partner: The websites above focus on people looking for a long-term relationship or something that might develop into one. If you don’t want that level of commitment, or the thought of a monogamous relationship isn’t of interest because you don’t want something serious or you can’t spare the time for it, there are internet dating sites for both genders looking for casual encounters. The Secret website has over 850,000 people who have signed up in order to find low-commitment erotic encounters. The site is anonymous and it translates well in most web browsers (there is no English page). Make sure you’re ready for this, especially if you’re already in a relationship!
For your online dating profiles in Zurich, it’s critical to be honest and to avoid misrepresenting yourself, otherwise the connections you make are likely to feel cheated and lied to. Here are a few things you should keep in mind when you are dating online in Zurich:
- Use a flattering (but accurate), recent photograph in your profile. You don’t want potential partners to be disappointed if they meet you in person
- A little mystery goes a long way. The most successful people dating online are those who keep their profiles tight and making a strong impact.
- Don’t advertise yourself as something you’re not. If you’re not musically inclined, don’t say you are. If you don’t like the sports, don’t say you do. You get the point!
Once you do find someone online who catches your interest, there are lots of great places to go to in Zurich and cool things to do.
Good luck finding someone in special to share your life in Zurich!